A Deeper Understanding of Resilience (Truro)
Starting November (6-part series)
Room 254, Haley Institute
See schedule of on-site and online sessions below
Resilience is not something that we’re born with – it develops over time as we acquire knowledge, perspective and self-management skills.
Vendura Wellness has created an exciting resilience program for workplaces. They address thinking traps, catastrophic thinking and practical skills that can be applied in everyday life to strengthen an individual's ability to overcome adversity and challenges, adapt well to change, manage stress, and thrive in their personal and professional lives.
Participants will learn important resilience skills such as:
- Developing a purpose and vision
- Reducing anxiety through techniques for controlling intrusive thoughts and images
- The importance of, and how to have, strong relationships with friends and family
- How to amplify positive emotions and how to recognize when negative ones are out of proportion
- How to maximize your physical health through sleep, meditation and other life skills
- Heightening awareness of “Red Flags” (knowing the triggers and markers of low resiliency)
- Having a series of go-to “Fire escapes” (strategies to address low resiliency)
The program includes a one-of-a-kind G.R.I.T. assessment tool that gives participants a deep look inward at their current level of resilience. Participants will receive reflections on the unique scales that combine to produce each resiliency score.
UPDATED SCHEDULE OF REMAINING SESSIONS:
Thursday, Nov 29th Live on site 11:30-1:00 p.m.
Thursday, Dec 13th Online 11:30-12:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec 20th Online 11:30-12:30 p.m.
Thursday, Jan 17th Live on site 11:30-1:00 p.m. (LOCATION: C. A Douglas Room, Cumming Hall)
Attendance at all sessions is encouraged, but not mandatory. Participants may participate in the online sessions together or connect on their own from wherever they prefer.
Darren Steeves (MSC, CSCS, CEP) is passionate about improving the total health of our community. Darren is a professional Exercise Physiologist and Co-Owner of Vendura Wellness started after working at Dalhousie University for 12 years. He has consulted with Olympic Medalists, World Champion athletes, and within corporations for over 20 years. Darren has written for Men's Health, Canadian Living and numerous media outlets, as well as appearances on CBC-TV, CBC-Radio and CTV.